Choosing between Medicare Supplement Plans 2018 and Medicare Advantage Plans is not a trivial matter to ignore. Here are some of the questions that you must bear in mind before enrolling for Medicare Advantage plans:
Hospitals, Providers and other facilities queries to ask
- Can I use my doctors with whom I am already referring? Are they listed in the network of the plan?
- Will providers and doctors take new patients having this Medicare Advantage plans?
- In case the Plans network does not have my providers, will the plan offer cover for my visits?
- Which hospitals, specialists, skilled nursing facilities and home health agencies are in the network of the plan?
Approach to health care queries to ask
- Name of the plan service area?
- Will I receive coverage in case I receive care outside the service area?
- Who will be my Primary care provider?
- Is there a need for referral to see a specialist?
- Is there a need for doctor’s approval to get admitted in a hospital?
Costs related queries to ask
- What are the costs that I will receive as coverage?
- The annual out of pocket maximum cost, how much is it?
Note: PPOs limits with out of pocket are different for in and out of network. In case of a PPO, you must ask the limits of out of pocket.
- How much to pay as out of pocket prior to the starting of the coverage (what will be the deductible)?
- How much will be my copayment for services on receiving regularly, such as specialist care or PCP?
- How much to pay on visiting out-of-network facility or provider?
- Does it include higher copays for certain care types, such as home health care or hospital stays?
Benefits relates queries to ask
- Does my plan cover all that the Original Medicare services do not?
- Dental services, hearing aids and vision care, are they covered?
- Are there restrictions that I should know to access these benefits?
- Prescription drugs cover, is it available with my plan?
- Are my prescriptions as per the formulary of the plan?
- Are there coverage restriction imposed on my plan?
- What are the costs I must pay for drug coverage?
- Will prescriptions be covered in my plan when I travel?
- Can I use my pharmacy to get through mail order my drugs?